TUC march for the Alternative – London March 26th
It is clear that March 26th will be the biggest demonstration since the anti-war march of February 2003. All our work from now till then will be dedicated to making sure this is the case. We have printed and distributed 10,000 flyers for the March demonstration and we will be producing 100,000 more. Please contact us if you would like us to send you material for local distribution. We are asking for donations which will be spent entirely on producing new material.
Week of Resistance 12th – 19th February
To build for the March 26th protest CoR has called a Week of Resistance. The following events are planned:
- Saturday 12th February Right to Work People’s Conference
- Sunday 13th February Capitalism: A love story by Michael Moore. London Socialist Film Co-op 10.30 am the Renoir with discussion led by Tony Benn
- Monday 14th February Stop the Valentines Day Massacre of our Public Services. Downing Street 5pm-7pm with Jeremy Corbyn MP, John McDonnell MP, Steve Hart Unite – sponsored by SERTUC and Unite [ London and Eastern Region].
- Tuesday 15th February Mass Lobby of Parliament Tell MPs: Hands off our homes, our benefits and our rights. Rally in Central Hall Westminster and mass lobby of Parliament. 12-4pm. Called by Defend Council Housing.
- Wednesday 16th February COR Public Meeting Goldsmiths College with Caroline Lucas MP, Tariq Ali and Clare Solomon
- Wednesday 16th February COR Public Meeting with Keep Our NHS Public Conway Hall WC1 with Dr Jacky Davis, Wendy Savage and John Lister. More info.
- Saturday 19th February Mass leafleting for March 26th demonstration – stalls throughout the country.
- Saturday 19th February Visit George Osborne at home – a cross between ‘a place in the sun’ and ‘location, location, location’.
The first meeting of the Coalition of Resistance National Council met on Saturday 15th January. Eighty Six members of the NC attended.
The main business focused on the preparations for the TUC demonstration on March 26th, and included reports on local activity and proposals for the COR week of resistance in February 14-20th.
The National Council also dealt with the amendments to the National Conference declaration and the final text of the declaration is here.
Bob Williams-Findlay from Disabled People Against Cuts moved a resolution on ‘inclusivity’ which was carried unanimously.
A steering committee that meets on a weekly basis was agreed and new members including Brian Heron [People's Charter], Chris Bambery [RTW], Ruth Serwotka [PCS] and Bill Greenshields [Communist Party].
Recent affiliations to the Coalition include South East Northumberland Trade Union Council, Worthing Solidarity Network, University and College Union and the Southport Anti-Cuts Coalition, the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts, the Sheffield Socialist Choir and Woodcraft Folk [South Region].
Affiliation can be on an individual or an organizational basis. Please affiliate it helps our work and helps build links with different groups and in different areas. New Coalition of Resistance groups have recently been set up in Maidstone, Scunthorpe and Plymouth.
Join or Affiliate to the Coalition of Resistance
Alternatively please make a cheque payable to ‘Coalition of Resistance’ and send to:
Coalition of Resistance
5 Caledonian Road
London N1 9DX
Prices include postage
Artists of the Resistance
There will be a meeting of the Artists group on Wednesday, January 26th, 6.30pm at the Marchmont Community Centre, London WC1.
There is also a new ‘Artists of the Resistance‘ badge available from the CoR site.
Education Protests this Saturday 29th January
London: Unite for Education – Fight every cut:
Assemple 12 noon at ULU, Malet Street London WC1
Backed by UCU and PCS, and Unison HE, and others.
Manchester: A Future that Works: National Rally for Young People.
Called by NUS, TUC, UCU
Supported by Unite, UNISON, PCS, NUT, Education Activist Network
Assemble: 10.30am, University of Manchester
(University Place), Oxford Road.
March: 11am to Platt Fields Park for 1pm TUC
Rally: A ‘Future that Works’.
National day of action over library closures 5th Feb
The Campaign for the Book has called a national day of action of the closure of libraries. Read-ins have been organised across the country. A list of planned actions will be posted on the CoR site shortly.
Solidarity with the Tunisian Revolution
Jeremy Corbyn MP was joined by CEO of the Islam Channel and former Tunisian political prisoner Mohamed Ali and Joseph Daher of Counterfire at a CoR meeting called at short notice to discuss the revolution and practical ways of providing solidarity. Video footage from the event is available on the CoR website.
International Conference of Resistance
The Coalition of Resistance is proposing with others to host an international conference against austerity in the autumn of this year. The call for the conference will be circulated in the next week.
Let them Eat Trident
New poster jointly produced with CND.
Prices include postage
Web Help required
Can you help with the Coalition of Resistance website? Can you update the content on the site (knowledge of WordPress required)? Please contact us if you can help.